SDEA's inaugural early childhood drama pedagogy certification course launches in 2022!
ETLA-EC is a 36-hour course designed to equip artists with key knowledge, skills and dispositions to work with children in the early years, primarily ages 4 to 6 years. This course offers a platform for artists to delve deeper into the foundation of their teaching beliefs and how that shapes their practices that are aligned with the principles of teaching and learning in early childhood (arts) education.
With a strong emphasis on applied learning, this course provides artists with hands-on learning experiences - observing and applying the knowledge and skills learnt during the course in an early childhood context. In addition to building upon individual’s artform skills and knowledge, artists may explore working collectively to create interdisciplinary arts experiences with and/or for young children. SDEA will be partnering with Presbyterian Community Services (PCS) to facilitate practicum sessions for course participants in 3 of their preschools.
At the end of the course, participants will be awarded with a Certificate of Completion, which is recognised by the National Arts Council. This Certificate satisfies the minimum pedagogical requirement for arts instructors to conduct NAC-AEP Arts Experience programmes in preschools.
SDEA hopes for the programme to assist in developing a greater awareness of the role and impact of teaching through the arts in an early childhood setting.
This course aims to introduce participants to:
- Key theories and principles of early childhood education;
- A range of evidence-based approaches to teaching and learning of the arts in the early years;
- Developing a greater awareness of their roles and responsibilities as early childhood arts practitioners;
- Key components and principles of lesson planning, and acquire skills to design developmentally and culturally-appropriate lessons for target groups;
- Effective engagement strategies to facilitate children’s learning in and through the arts.
- Professional Qualification (minimum of a diploma in a relevant art form, and/or industry experience)
- Some Teaching Experience (teaching experience in pre-school/primary school is preferred)
- Teaching artists and arts educators who want to extend their practice to early childhood environments with students 6 years old and below.
- Teaching artists and arts educators who want to learn more about the role of the arts in early childhood education.
- Teaching artists and arts educators who want to learn about integrated arts pedagogies.
- Early Childhood Educators with at least 2 years of experience in teaching in, through or about at least one art form (drama, movement/dance, music, visual arts).
Non-SDEA Members - $2,340
SDEA Members - $1,872
Spaces are limited so do register early if you're interested. Registrations will close on 30th June 2022.
*Please note that this course is scheduled to be conducted in-person, however is subject to changes in Safe Management Measures (SMM).
If you require any support, please contact email@example.com.
Find out about SDEA Essentials of Teaching and Learning Approaches For Arts Educators - Early Childhood's programmes and join their upcoming sessions.